Design Unit Two Locating - Evaluation


Through the authorship of my self-initiated brief I have tried to demonstrate independent thinking and time management, focusing on the different elements of my project as it has split into two, almost three different directions. During this project I have tried to challenging the perception that the homeless are any different from the rest of us, whilst remembering that these people are actually in real crisis. I have created a range of samples which could be used as blankets on the streets, exploring designs which convey the idea of hiding the homeless with camouflage, a play on the idea that people in this situation are often ignored.

I have continued with my illustrative elements that I decided was more my style in the last project and involved collage using Photoshop as I really enjoyed this process last time. I have also furthered this with the use of photographic imagery to create a repeat pattern which was a real challenge. If there was more time I would definitely go back and spent more time on my initial drawings and visual research as I feel that it was quite rushed and that the concept behind the designs drowns the imagery. Additional to this, I am not happy with my designs that I created in the print room, I think that I became consumed by thinking about the fact that I had to produce work that reflected my concept rather than considering what I was actually creating, mostly due to the pressure of really not having a lot of time in the print room and having to book it before it gets booked up. I set out really wanting to spend more time in the print room and exploring processes. I have explored new techniques in the print room to try and create a waterproof element using foiling, which I feel wasn’t to the best of my creative abilities. I have also tried to consider creating something to keep the homeless warm within my sampling, adding fleece and wool. This has been interesting to me, and conflicting as I often only consider the design and not the practicality of my fabrics, trying to engineer something practical has given this project something new and different.

I have tested and presented my individual practice within a professional textiles context by creating a range of high end interior fabrics that I have submitted to Feathr. This is something that I haven’t explored before so I have tried to manage my own professional development reflectively by emailing and asking for feedback which has been very helpful in my practice and given me ideas for the future. Throughout this project I have been attending the Creative Cloud workshops which have taught me a lot about using Illustrator and when it’s best to use either Photoshop or Illustrator for different scenarios. I think that within the next project this will serve me well as I haven’t been happy with my repeats within my designs and this is something that was highlighted by the Feathr Team when they sent me feedback on my designs that I had submitted. If I had more time I would definitely go back and recreate my designs using Illustrator to make some repeats that are more successful and that I was happy with and reprint all of my fabric samples. I think that another of my mistakes I have made in this project is ignoring the fact that my fabrics will shrink during the digital printing process, purely because I didn’t think that it would matter because it wouldn’t be a noticeable difference when the design was printed although it has come back to haunt me once again as I have realised all of my samples are all slightly different sizes which isn’t important, but it irritates me. It’s something that I need to consider and learn how to fix in the next project because I know that at some point it will begin to matter and affect my designs.

I will also be submitting to the Bradford Textiles Competition, with the idea that these pieces could be sold with the intention of donating so much of the money made to a charity like The Salvation Army. To further this concept I have pushed my designs into creating t-shirts which could be part of a campaign to celebrate The Salvation Army’s 150th year as a charity. Another thing that I would explore if I had more time is along the same idea as my encapsulating samples, the idea of actually creating interior items for the homeless to make more of a point, heat sealing cushions and duvets in plastic to create a more comfortable conceptual piece that I could photograph as an installation, this would be a set of strong imagery which I could further by creating a campaign for The Salvation Army alongside the t-shirts.

This concept is something that I have never explored before and I have thoroughly enjoyed, I have tried bringing in ‘an element of strangeness’ and developing this as a theme within my work as a designer/artist, creating a website which includes a portfolio of my work, an about me page that you can download a PDF of my creative cv on, a contact page and a link to my blog. Throughout this project I have used my blog to demonstrate my ability to explore, critically analyse and develop my practice to keep myself on the right track over such a short, chaotic project. As well as this I have illustrated that I can build and use networks and contacts as a career development resource by creating and sending out copies of my Creative CV to companies and individual designers who I wish to work with in the future. I have been successful in receiving emails back about work experience and internships which is still an on-going arrangement. Hopefully I will have something in place for over summer.


Recent Posts
Archive
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey LinkedIn Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon

© Abigail Knott 2018